Hotspots, for those who do not know, are Internet connection points that allow you to access them. One that you may be familiar with is the one that is in your mobile device and those available in cafes, restaurants, hotels, airports and other public places. Your phone, in this case, acts as a router.
But is the hotspot open on your phone safe? And what about public Wi-Fi hotspots? The ones that anyone can just enter? Let’s explore:
The benefits of using Wi-Fi hotspots
- Mobility (on your device)
- Convenience and ease of accessibility
- Connecting multiple devices
Disadvantages of using Wi-Fi hotspots
- On Android devices, “open access” to hotspots is enabled by default, which removes the need for a password and allows anyone to access the network.
- The situation described above may allow others to use your bandwidth
- But it’s worse than using your data Man-in-the-middle attacks. These are eavesdropping attacks that occur when a computer establishes an Internet connection, sending data between a computer and a website on this network allows an attacker to exploit a connection vulnerability (or security gap) and read the broadcasts, and invade you. privacy.
- These security gaps can also allow hackers to send Malware To your computer or mobile device through an insecure network.
- Some Hot spots Maybe malicious And are designed to entice the user to log in to them.
How to use Wi-Fi hotspots safely
- Disable file sharing on your devices
- Do not enter password-protected networks!
- Do not log in to accounts that include your financial information
- Disable your Wi-Fi from automatic network connection
- Visit only secure sites using HTTPS
- Exit accounts when you finish using them
- Create a strong password for the hotspot of your phone
Long, unique and hard-to-guess passwords will ensure high security when using the hotspot of your mobile device.
- Get a unique SSID for the hotspot of your phone
An Android phone will automatically assign a default, which can be easily guessed. Change your SSID (or network name) to something only you will understand.
- Get portable security software
Getting powerful mobile security with state-of-the-art technology will protect you from hackers when using public Wi-Fi hotspots. One big one is ZoneAlarm Mobile Security. This is an app that can be downloaded for both Android and iOS (Apple iPhone) that uses the most advanced Check Point technology (a leader in cyber security for organizations and governments around the world). This protects your mobile device from hackers trying to access your data and take over your device, especially when connecting to potentially dangerous hotspots. It also helps block malicious apps before they are installed. It has minimal impact on battery life and performance, so you will not even feel like it is there.
- Get PC and mobile security software
Aside from getting amazing mobile security like the ones described in the previous point, getting protection for your PC is no less important, as you may be using your laptop with a hotspot of public Wi-Fi. Because of this ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Including both ZoneAlarm Mobile Security and additional protection for your PC against all advanced cyber attacks, such as viruses, malware, ransomware and phishing, is the way to go. It is easy to use and download for as many devices as you need to protect, PC and mobile (Android and iOS). It also includes a firewall, which controls all incoming and outgoing network traffic needed when connecting to a public Wi-Fi network on your laptop.
Do not risk your data, privacy and financial and personal information. Follow the steps above when connecting to public Wi-Fi hotspots and through your phone and – most importantly – get your devices the protection they need from cyber attacks today.